Monday, April 30, 2012

Veggies In Disguise Muffins

Pin It

I love any opportunity to make the traditional dish or treat a little bit healthier if I can. And if I have to sneak it in, then so be it. :) I recently made some yummy muffins that 2 little boys have given me the 2 thumbs up on the results!


Ingredients:

1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1 cup zucchini, finely chopped
1 cup chocolate chips (fresh fruit can be an excellent alternative option)
1 cup walnuts or pecans
1 package of cake mix, prepared according to package directions, but not baked

I didn't have a cake mix on hand, so I used this WONDERFUL GLUTEN FREE CAKE RECIPE!


Add carrots, zucchini, chocolate chips, and nuts to prepared cake batter, stir to combine.

Transfer the mixture to a muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Do not overcook, as this will result in dry muffins. Once cooled, these muffins can be frozen to be eaten later.

**We used cupcake liners since my youngest son is sensitive to metals**


With the cake recipe I used, this made about 48 muffins. I used leftover frozen organic zucchini and carrots and pantry items I already had. So you get a bang out of your buck and taste buds with this winning recipe!


Do you try to sneak in veggies for your kiddos?

5 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! I still don't think my kids would eat it... but I sure would! Do you happen to know what the calorie/fibre/fat count is - so I can count my WW points?!

    Thanks Kindra!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't even tell that there are carrots and zucchini in them after you bake them. And you can't even taste them.

      As for calories and such I don't have that on hand. It will depend on what cake mix or homemade cake recipe you use.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous recipe and gluten free too. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kindra: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF friend. I would love it if you stop by and be my friend, too.
    Pretty sneaky. I bet they are fantastic, after all, you did put chocolate chips in it. What kid wouldn't eat that?
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look wonderful. great idea. must make these, not for the kiddos but for ME!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!